Whenever you go to a store or a dealership the salespeople focus in. They have their defined list of tactics to get the sale. Don’t be fooled by their tricks and be cautious about who you trust with your money:
- Calls you by your first name often – By using your first name they are trying to establish some trust with you so it can be exploited.
- Mentions their family - Joe the sales guy is out to get you but not Joe the family man. He’s a regular guy just like you and will give you the best deal. Not!
- Last one in stock – Its a pressure tactic to get you to commit to a sale. If at any point you feel pressured you should leave even if it is the last one in stock.
- Have another offer – Another common pressure tactic. If there is another offer then congratulate that person and move on.
- Special promotion today only – This is the third pressure tactic. Once again just walk away if you are feeling the pressure. There will be other promotions and you will get your item at the price you want.
- Tells you what you need – This applies to both good and bad salesmen. With a good salesman you go in for a minivan and walk out with a minivan with all of the features you need. With a bad salesmen you go in for a minivan and leave with a Porsche.
- Talks himself up – A salesmen will try to talk about how great of a sales person they are and the kind of figures they put up. They are trying to draw you into a false sense of security. Because he puts up great numbers doesn’t mean he is giving you the best price.
- Spin the financing – They quote the financing price using longer periods or weekly payments to make it sound cheaper then it is
Are there any other sales tactics that you’ve experienced ?